11.30.2010

california's progressive education

My friend Coco invited me to an elves faire. Having just bought an iphone, with no previous experience using T9 word, I mistakenly texted back: "slaves feast?"

(On a slightly crass side note: I typed in "oooooooooooh" and T9 suggested "pooped.")

I've thrown the haggis during the Scottish Highland Festival, twirled the ribbon wands at Renaissance Fairs, and now I can say I've seen John C. Reilly get down with his folk-singing self at The Waldorf School of Altadena's Elves Faire.

Waldorf Lily
King Garden Gnome

Red CartsTea ElfFall ParrotDoll ClothesRenaissance Tire SwingFrog CurtainTea SetsOwlHoseStump Rings

Not only were there millions of garden gnomes on the grounds, there were kids. Tons and tons of kids. Not only that: they were happy kids. I found this bizarre. What normal kids love school?

Maybe it's that I had found myself at a progressive learning environment that throws a hippy-dippy celebration decorated like a lord of the rings playground.

I was quite happy. The air was cool and crisp, the vegan ketchup was pink and actually made of beets, and there were tons and tons of baked goods. Including the best cupcake I've ever had: It was a dark-chocolate gluten free concoction that cost me three tickets.

Oh, how could I forget to mention that I'd found about 15 free tickets. Finders keepers you sweet little waldorf twits.

And because I've just realized I managed to exclude most of the children from my photographs, here's one just to prove that in fact they were there and not in my head:

Swing

And who doesn't want to watch a 5-year old's attempts at jousting over and over and over and over......
Here's the poor kid's third try:


No comments:

Post a Comment